Communique issued by the African Media GroupAdmin
Communique issued by the African Media Group who participated in TAWASUL III, the “Palestine Addressing the World” international conference, held on 17-18 November 2018 by PIFMC.
Reaffirming their continued support for the struggle of the Palestinian people for independence and self-determination in their homeland;
Emphasising the need to highlight the Palestinian narrative in the African media;
Determining to develop a communication strategy for cooperation between Palestinian media organisations and their counterparts in Africa;
we have decided to:
1. Hold joint events to mark International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian people;
2. It was also realized that a number of African countries have accepted Israeli determination to be included on the African Union security council.
3. This development has come as a surprise to the Palestinian Media Forum looking at the experience of such African states in taking the lead to decolonise their countries with support from the international community. As such, the forum wonders the moral conscience with which such states are now getting involved with Israel, a country that has shown gross disdain to all the UN protocols and human rights of the Palestinians as human beings.
4. The forum therefore appeal to such democratic African states to rescind their decision if they truly believe in the right of others to self-determination, respect for human dignity, and world peace.
5. The forum regards with respect the rights and freedom of all independent African states and expects all such states to work in support and solidarity with the Palestinian cause as a matter of moral responsibility
6. We therefore call on the AU not to endorse Israel’s request for observer member status;
7. Encourage the Union to resume the work began at the 2001 Durban conference against racism and discrimination with specific reference to Palestine;
8. The forum suggested for the Establishment of a database of media institutions and experts;
9. Encourage media support for social movements and campaigns among them Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS).
The African Media Group is made of representatives from South Africa, Ghana, Uganda, Zambia, Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya, Senegal, Chad and Botswana.